Spinach Flatbreads with Black-eyed Pea Tomato Sauce and Spinach Pesto
This is really a delicious meal, and not so difficult to make. It can be a weekend breakfast meal, brunch, lunch or snack. With an added mixed salad it would also be a nice supper.
for the spinach flatbread:
- 2 large handfuls spinach, washed spin dried and chopped
- 10 ounces self-rising flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ – 1 cup soy yogurt
for the black-eyed pea tomato sauce:
- 1½ cups cooked black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 14½ ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
- 1 pinch Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
for the spinach pesto:
- 1 handful fresh spinach, washed and spin dried
- 1 splash lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mild mustard
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 1-2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- to taste salt and pepper
to prepare the spinach flatbreads:
- Place the self-rising flour in a bowl. Add the salt and whisk to blend.
- Clean, spin dry and chop the spinach in very small pieces and mix into the flour.
- Add the soy soy yogurt- begin with ¾ of a cup and blend.
- As you mix, you may need a bit more liquid.
- Allow the dough to sit for 10 minutes or so and need or fold a couple times on a lightly floured surface.
Divide the dough into 4-5 balls.
to make the tomato, black-eyed pea sauce:
- Chop the onion and drain the cooked black-eyed peas.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and sauté until glassy.
- Add the black-eyed peas and mix gently.
- Add as much of the crushed tomatoes as you prefer. We wanted more of a black-eyed pea sauce rather than tomato, but with a hint of tomatoes.
- Add the Italian seasonings and salt and pepper.
- If you wish garlic is also an option, however for this meal we did not want the garlic
to make the spinach pesto:
- Place the spinach and lemon juice in a blender or food processor and whiz to make a puree.
- Add the mustard and almond meal and whiz again.
- At last add the nutritional yeast and season to taste with salt and pepper. We found that it was not necessary to add any oil to this pesto, but if you wish you can make a smoother sauce by adding a fine olive oil.
to make the flatbreads:
- Roll out the spinach dough balls to make round disks about 1/4inch thick.
- Heat a large frying pan.
- When it is hot, spray lightly with oil and place one of the flatbread disks on to fry.
- Lightly fry on both sides.
- Place a flatbread on each plate. Top with the black-eyed pea tomato sauce and drizzle a bit of spinach pesto on top.
We garnished the meal with a couple of basil leaves.