Summer Vegetables with an Orange, Turmeric and Raisin Dressing
We served this dish as a warm main meal, but it is also lovely served as a cold salad. The orange, turmeric and raisin dressing makes this meal quite special.
Serving Size: 4
for the salad:
- 1 romanesco, cut into spirals or florets
- 2 medium kohlrabi, peeled and sliced
- 2-3 medium large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3-4 garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 onions red (or white), sliced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
for the dressing:
- 1½ cups orange juice
- ¾ cup golden raisins (or regular)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground anise
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the romanesco into small spirals, place in a steamer and steam al dente.
- Peel the kohlrabi and carrots and slice in 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Slice the onions in ¼ inch rings
- Thinly slice the garlic cloves.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan.
- Cook the garlic until lightly golden brown, being careful to not let it burn.
- Remove the garlic from the oil and drain on a paper towel.
- Add the onion slices to the oil and lightly sauté until soft.
- Remove the onions from the oil and allow to drain on a paper towel.
- When the romanesco pieces have become soft, remove from the steamer and place the carrot and kohlrabi pieces in the steamer.
- Cook the carrots and kohlrabi al dente or to taste.
- Meanwhile prepare the dressing.
- Heat the orange juice in a small saucepan.
- Add the raisins to “plump” . Add the turmeric, anise and garlic powder and stir well.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and olive oil. If there is any oil left from the garlic and onions you can ad that as well.
- Season the dressing to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Reduce the heat.
- Place a generous amount of the warm kohlrabi, carrots and romanesco on each plate.
- Serve the meal warm with some of the dressing poured over and pieces of red onion and garlic sprinkled over the top.