Zucchini Walnut Risotto
This makes an easy, handy and tasty meal for summer nights. The walnuts add flavor, protein and a nice crunch.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 2-3 cups vegetable bouillon
- 2 tablespoons mixed Italian herbs and spices
- 3 scallions, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean the zucchini and cut (in half moons or matchsticks).
- Chop the onion, mince the garlic and slice the spring onions.
- In a dry pan toast the chopped walnut pieces.
- When lightly toasted, remove the walnuts from the pan and set in a bowl for later use.
- Place the vegetable oil in the frying pan used for the walnuts and heat the oil.
- Add the onion and sauté until soft.
- Add the risotto rice and mix well to evenly cover the rice.
- Add 2 cups of vegetable bouillon and minced garlic
- As the vegetable bouillon is absorbed, add the zucchini pieces.
- Add water or more vegetable bouillon if the rice is still hard.
- Continue cooking and stirring until the rice is soft.
- Add the Italian herbs and spices
- Shortly before serving add the toasted walnut pieces, the scallions and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- We garnished the meal by sprinkling a few pieces of toasted walnuts on top and some of the green parts of the chopped spring onions.