TVP and Sauerkraut Soup
This is a delicious hearty soup. It is especially nice in the fall on a chilly day, served with whole grain bread.
Serving Size: 4
- 1½ cups dry TVP granules (small sized like ground beef)
- 2½ cups boiling water
- 2-3 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable bouillon
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can sauerkraut with juice
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 3 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 cups water, if needed
- black pepper
- Place the TVP in a bowl and pour the boiling water over to re-constitute. Place a lid or plate on the bowl and allow the TVO to absorb the water.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion and lightly cook until glassy and soft.
- Add the sauerkraut, can of crushed tomatoes, vegetable bouillon, tamari, bay leaves and sage.
- Bring to a low simmer.
- When the TVP has absorbed all of the water, spoon the TVP into the soup.
- Gently mix.
- Before serving, remove the bay leaves and add the parsley, reserving enough to use as garnish.
- Season the soup to taste with black pepper and if needed, salt.
- Serve, garnished with some parsley on top.