Warm Fall Salad with Walnut Maple Dressing
This hearty salad makes a really good warm lunch on a chilly fall day, or can also be served at a lovely brunch.
Serving Size: 4
for the salad:
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 2 cups water
- pinch salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 apples, cored and sliced
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- arils from 1 pomegranate
- 2-3 handfuls arugula
- 1 red onion, sliced
for the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut vinegar
- 1/8 cup walnuts
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Place the lentils in a medium sauce pan.
- Add the water a pinch of salt and the bay leaves.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then turn down to simmer. Cook the lentils until soft but to mushy.
- While the lentils are cooking, preheat the oven to 375°F / 190°C.
- Peel the butternut squash and cut into bite sized cubes.
- Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over the cubes and place on a cooky sheet prepared with baking parchment.
- Place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. (Alternatively, you can steam the butternut squash).
- When the lentils are cooked remove from the heat, drain off any excess water and place in a large salad bowl
- Clean and spin dry the arugula and remove and extra long stem ends.
- Slice the red onion.
- Toast the walnuts in a dry frying pan and chop.
- Remove the arils from 1 pomegranate. This is does easiest by slicing in half, then scoring where the white membrane is. Place the half of the pomegranate in a bowl of water and gently ease the arils from the membranes. The arils will sink to the bottom and the membranes will float .
- Place the dressing ingredients i a blender and pulse to a smooth dressing consistency.
- When the squash pieces are golden brown remove from the oven and add to the lentils.
- Gently mix in the arugula, most of the red onion slices and the walnuts.
- Core the apple and slice or chop and add to the salad.
- Pour some of the dressing over and gently mix all together.
- Sprinkle the pomegranate arils on top along with the rest of the red onion slices, some apple slices and a few walnut pieces.
- Serve the salad warm with extra dressing on the side.