Lentil and Wurst Salad
This is lovely salad that we enjoyed as a hearty lunch.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 3-4 cups water
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, thin sliced
- 3-4 vegan wursts or hot dogs
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ tablespoon vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoon mild mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the lentils in 3-4 cups of water until they are soft, but not mushy.
- When the lentils are done, remove from the heat and drain any extra water off.
- De-seed and chop the red bell pepper into small pieces.
- Slice the red onion into rings, reserve some as garnish on top and chop the rest.
- Cut the vegan wurst into rounds and grill them lightly on each side.
- Make the dressing by mixing the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Place the drained lentils in a large bowl.
- Mix in the red bell pepper pieces and the chopped onion pieces.
- Add the salad dressing and mix evenly.
- Shortly before serving, chop the lettuce into bite sized pieces and mix into the salad.
- Serve the salad with the cooked wurst pieces on top, garnished with a few red onion rings.