Wine Braised Fennel with Apples
This is an easy, yet elegant side dish that could adorn a holiday meal, or any other meal as well.
Serving Size: 4
- 28 ounces fennel bulbs
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup vegetable bouillon
- 1½ cups dry white wine, divided
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch white pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pinches ground fennel seeds
- pinch ground cardamom
- Slice the fennel in bite sided strips, reserving some fronds as garnish.
- Slice the onion in similar slices.
- Mince the garlic
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Saute the onion until it begins to soften
- Add the fennel and sauté.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and braise the fennel.
- Add the minced garlic and fennel powder.
- When the vegetable bouillon cooks off, add 3/4 cup white wine and turn the heat down to continue braising the fennel until it is al dente.
- In a smaller sauce pan, add the soy yogurt and the rest of the white wine.
- Add a pinch of salt, the ground cardamom and a pinch of ground fennel. Stir to mix well and heat the mixture
- As the fennel become soft, peel and slice the apple and add the slices to the fennel.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the fennel and apples and stir to mix well
- Serve the dish garnished with a bit of freshly ground black pepper, nutmeg and some fresh fennel fronds.