Crunchy Curried Pea Salad with Apples Cashews and Water Chestnuts
This is a lovely crunchy salad that would be an asset to any table. it looks pretty enough for a holiday meal although is also lovely for a filling supper meal.
Serving Size: 4
- 16 ounces fresh or frozen peas
- 6 ounces cashew nuts, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chipped
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2/3 cup soyanaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- If using fresh peas:
- Shell the peas.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil.
- Cook the peas in the boiling water for just a couple of minutes, until the begin to soften, but have not lost their bright green color.
- Drain and put in cold water.
- If using frozen peas, allow to thaw but cooking is not needed.
- Chop the water chestnuts, cashews, and spring onions.
- Alternatively you could also use a small red onion.
- Chop the apple into a small bowl with water and a splash of lemon juice so that the apple does not discolor.
- Combine the peas, green onions, cashews, apple pieces and water chestnuts in a serving bowl.
- Mix together the soyanaise and curry powder in a separate bowl.
- Gently stir the mixture into peas.
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- We garnished the salad with a few more cashew nuts and some chopped leek. You could also use chopped spring onion greens or chives.