Stir-fry Vegan Chickun, Broccoli and Red Pepper
This is a quick and delicious main meal that can be enjoyed any time of the year.
Serving Size: 4
- 12 ounces Vegan “chickun” pieces
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 sweet red pepper, de-seeded and cut into pieces
- 1 red chili pepper, de-seeded and cut into small rounds
- 1 lime, sliced and juiced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 white rice, cup
- 2 water, cups
for the sauce:
- 4 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce.
- Cook the rice.
- Cut the broccoli into florets (you can save the stems to make soup).
- Place the broccoli in a steamer and steam al dente.
- Meanwhile, slice the red pepper and red onion.
- Place the red pepper pieces and sliced onion in a frying pan with the oil.
- Lightly sauté or stir fry.
- Add the steamed broccoli and the chickun pieces
- Add the garlic and ½ of the red chili pepper pieces.
- Pour the sauce over the meal and allow the sauce to slightly thicken.
- Squeeze a bit of the lime over the meal, saving a slice for serving.
- Serve the meal over whiter rice, garnished with sliced spring onions and a few pieces of the chili pepper and a slice of lime on the side.