Vegetable Ravioli and Mushroom Salad with Kale, Walnut Pesto
This is a delicious main meal salad. Very hearty and filling. We enjoyed it as a winter lunch, it would also be lovely in the summer at suppertime.
Serving Size: 4
for the pesto:
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 garlic
- 3-4 cups kale, cleaned and cut from the stems
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- water as needed to blend
for the salad:
- 1 (8 ounce) package vegetable tortellini
- 1 (8 ounce) package mixed wild mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 generous handfuls arugula
to make the pesto:
- Clean the kale. Remove from the stems and roughly chop. Place the chopped kale in a blender or food processor.
- Add the lemon juice and oil to the kale and pulse to puree the kale.
- Once the kale is liquefied, add the walnuts and pulse again to puree the nuts.
- Add the dry mustard powder, salt, pepper, garlic and nutritional yeast and pulse once more to blend.
- You may need to add a bit of water if it is too thick for your blender to function.
to make the salad:
- Prepare a pot of lightly salted water to cook the tortellini.
- Once the water is boiling, add the tortellini to cook. They are ready once they float to the top.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mushrooms. Clean the mushrooms and slice any that are too large.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and lightly saute the mixed mushrooms.
- Drain the cooked tortellini.
- Place a generous portion of arugula on each plate. Next evenly share the tortellini and mushrooms over the arugula.
- Drizzle the pesto over the salad and serve.