Tempeh, Shiitake, Broccoli Bowl
Tempeh is a great vegan source for probiotics and encouraging a “healthy gut”. We really enjoyed this delicious tempeh bowl and will have it more often. Especially encouraging more probiotics over the cold winter months.
Serving Size: 4
- 8 ounces tempeh, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seded and sliced in strips
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ head broccoli, in florets
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil or other cooking oil
- 1 cup basmanti rice
for the sauce:
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup tamari
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1″ piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 splashes sriracha sauce
- 1 heaping teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup or as needed water
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan and place over a low heat.
- Prepare the vegetables: cut the broccoli in florets, slice the onion, de-seed and slice the red bell pepper, slice the shiitake mushrooms
- Steam the broccoli al dente.
- Slice the tempeh.
- Place 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of lightly salted water in saucepan and cook.
- Heat the sesame oil and grape-seed oil in a frying pan or wok. Place the tempeh in the frying man and fry until golden on both sides. Remove the tempeh from the pan and place in a bowl for later.
- Place the red bell pepper and onions in the frying pan and sauce until al dente.
- Add the sliced shiitake mushrooms and sauce.
- Add the tempeh pieces.
- Add some of the sauce and mix evenly.
- Evenly serve the rice in individual bowls. Top with the red pepper, onion, tempeh mixture. Add the steamed broccoli pieces and drizzle a bit more sauce on top.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and optionally with spring onion pieces.