Purple Potato Pancakes with Vegan Cheese Sauce
These are delicious. We have been growing Vitelotte purple potatoes for a couple of years now as we find them so tasty. This makes a great lunch or snack, and also a lovely side dish for a main meal.
Serving Size: 4
Yield: 8-10 pancakes
for the purple potato pancakes:
- 2 cups Vitelotte or other purple potato, boiled and mashed
- ½ cup soy yogurt
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 egg replacement
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying the pancakes
for the vegan cheese sauce:
- 1½ cups plain soy yogurt (or non-dairy milk)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon light miso
- 1 teaspoon mild grainy mustard
- splash lemon juice
- dash nutmeg
- splash Tabasco (optional)
to make the potato pancakes:
- Wash the potatoes well, place i a pot of lightly salted water and boil until soft.
- Drain the water when the potatoes are cooked and mash the potatoes.
- Add the soy yogurt and mix well.
- Add the flour and mix to form the dough.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Form the pancakes.
to make the vegan cheese sauce:
- Place the soy yogurt in a small sauce pa.
- Add the miso and stir well to blend.
- Add the nutritional yeast, mustard, and lemon juice.
- Season with nutmeg, Tabasco and salt if needed.
- Warm the sauce on a low heat.
- Cook the potato pancakes.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Cook the pancakes until lightly golden brown on each side.
- When done, “drain” on a paper towel.
- Serve the pancakes with the vegan cheese sauce drizzled on top and garnished with a few chopped chives.