Fava Bean Spread
This is one of our favorite sandwich spreads on bread or as snack on crackers. Fava beans are very health and have a great flavor . The do taste best of you take the time and trouble to remove the skins.
Yield: about 2 cups
- 2 pounds fresh fava beans
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 lemon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shell the fresh fava beans, blanch them and then remove the skins.If you don’t have access to fresh fav beans, then 10-12 ounces frozen would do. Then it would be a matter of blanching and removing the skins.
- You should have about 2 cups of skinned bright green fava beans.
- Place the skinned fava beans in a bowl or food processor.
- Add the lemon juice, sesame oil, minced garlic and mustard.
- Puree the fava beans to a smooth paste.
- Add the salt, lemon thyme and pepper.
- Season to taste with additional salt, pepper, thyme or maybe a dash of hot chili pepper sauce.