Mushroom with Turnip Greens Strudel
We really enjoyed this savory strudel for lunch today. It’s a nice meal for 2 with a mixed salad.
Serving Size: 2
- 1 vegan frozen puff pastry (about 10”X15”), thawed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cups turnip greens, washed and chopped
- splash lemon juice
- pinch brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkle of paprika powder as dusting
- Clean the turnip greens and remove and big stems.
- Shred or chop the greens and lightly shake dry.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F / 220°C or whatever is indicated on the puff pastry package.
- Prepare a cookie sheet with baking parchment.
- Slice the mushrooms thinly and chop the onions.
- Heat the oil in a large drying pan.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until they soften and begin to release their juices.
- Add the chopped onion and lightly sauté until soft.
- Place the onions and mushrooms in a bowl.
- Using the same pan, place all the chopped greens in the pan and cook until wilted.
- Add the wilted greens to the mushrooms and onions.
- Mix the lemon juice and brown sugar and add to the mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes if fusing.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Place the thawed puff pastry on the baking parchment.
- If you want to have a “braided top” then choose one of the short ends, cut a triangle or inverted V from the middle. Then slice diagonally parallel about 1/2 inch wide, all the way up the long side. Slice the strips from about 1/3 of the way in the middle to the outer edge so there is a nice sized area to place the filling along the middle. Slice both the long sides the same, leaving the tip of the strudel solid.
- Fill the middle portion of the pastry with the greens and mushroom mixture.
- Fold over the the triangle part (inverted V) to cover the filling, then alternate laying each of the strips and ending with the solid part at the top folded over to keep the filling inside.
- If desired you can brush the pastry with non-dairy milk, or oil. We merely sprinkled the top with sweet paprika powder.
- Place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until the top is light golden brown and flaky.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool and set for 10 minutes.
Spinach, kale or chard green would also be good with this recipe.