Vegan Tortellini with Spicy Pumpkin Sauce, Ricotta and Smoky Tofu Pieces
The weather has definitely begun to cool down. We have harvested our red kuri squash and were very happy with this year’s harvest. We are looking forward to sharing lots of new pumpkin/squash recipes with you. This is the first of the season which we really enjoyed and will be having through the winter months.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 package circa 12 ounces vegan pre-made tortellini
- 8 ounces smoky tofu pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2-3 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder
- pinch thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
for the soy ricotta:
- 1 cup soy quark or soy yogurt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- small splash vinegar
- thyme springs as garnish
to make the spicy pumpkin sauce:
- Cut the pumpkin/squash) remove the seeds and strings.
- Cut the pumpkin in pieces and steam. I steam rather than roasting in order to save electricity, and I can use some of the liquid to assist making the puree. Steam the pumpkin pieces until soft.
- Remove the pumpkin from the steamer and place in a bowl.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, tomato paste, sriracha sauce and vegetable bouillon powder.
- Puree to a smooth consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the pureed sauce in a sauce pan over low heat to keep warm.
to make the ricotta:
- Place the soy quark or soy yogurt in a bowl.
- Add the nutritional yeast, dry mustard powder, salt and vinegar and mix well.
to make the dish:
- Cut the smoky tofu into small cubes or pieces.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- Add the vegan tortellini and cook according to the package instructions.
- When the tortellini are done, drain off the water
- Place a generous amount of the pumpkin sauce in the bottom of individual pasta bowls.
- Add the spicy tofu pieces here and there.
- Dollop the soy ricotta here and there.
- Garnish with thyme springs.