Eggplant and green beans in a raisin tamarind curry sauce
This really gives the feeling of the tropics. We really enjoy the taste of tamarind!
Serving Size: 4
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1-1/2 tbs. tamarind pulp
- 200 grams green beans, cut in bite sized chunks
- 2/3 cup water
- 2-3 tbs. oil
- 2 cups onions , thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs. ginger, fresh, grated
- 1 tbs. coriander, ground
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. back pepper freshly ground
- 1 pinch cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 cup raisins, golden
- 1-1/2 tsp. brown sugar, packed or to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 tbs. garam masala
- cilantro or fresh coriander, fresh, leaves, for garnish
- Slice the eggplant in long slices, and place in a colander, sprinkle with coarse salt, and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and dry well with paper towels.
- Soak tamarind pulp in 1/3 cup boiling water, off the heat, for 15 minutes. Stir and mash with fork to help it dissolve. Strain through a fine strainer into a bowl, pressing on the solids with the back of a wooden spoon to extract all the liquid.
- Cut the eggplant into bite sized pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the eggplant until golden brown,
- Add the onions and cook, stirring, until golden.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add garlic, ginger, coriander, curry powder, cayenne, black pepper and cinnamon and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the water, tamarind liquid, raisins and sugar and salt to taste and simmer over low heat until the mixture reduces and thickens, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garam masala and cook for another minute.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with cilantro leaves.
- Nice served with rice, couscous or other grains.
This recipe was adapted from one at Ashley’s Aubergines, do check out the website, she has over 3,000 eggplant recipes.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.