Layered crunchy gooseberry fool
Early summer means the gooseberries are coming into season. This is a quick and easy way to enjoy the gooseberries on a hot and steamy day.
- 4 ounces vegan ginger snaps, crushed
- 1 ½ ounce soy margarine, melted
- 8 ounces gooseberries
- 1 tbs. water
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1 tbs. powdered sugar
- 1/2 pint soy whipping cream (Soyatoo), whipped
- Put the ginger snaps in a food processor and crumble. (alternatively you can crush them with a rolling pin).
- Mix together the gingersnap crumbs and melted soy margarine and allow to cool.
- Place the gooseberries and water in a pan , cover and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the sugar and puree until smooth. Leave to cool.
- Whip the Soyatoo or soy whipping cream with a tbs. of powdered sugar
- Fold the whipped soycream into the gooseberries and spoon half the mixture into the base of individual glass dishes.
- Top with half the biscuit crumbs.
- Repeat the layers.
- Chill and serve.
Make sure the ginger snaps are vegan. If not, you can use any “vanilla” vegan cookie and add 1 tsp. ground ginger while crushing.