These are yummy and really like the “other” kind of macaroons. You don’t taste the carrots, they just give a lovely shredded texture and golden color, and of course a bit of vitamins along the way too.
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 3/4 cup water blended with 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup wholewheat flour
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour or soy flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grate the carrots and place in a bowl.
- Chop the dates and add the water, allow this to sit for 10 minutes and then mix well, o puree.
- Add the almond flavor to the date mixture and add to the carrots.
- In a second bowl, put the coconut, and flours and 1/4 tsp. salt. Mix well, and then add the sweetened carrot mixture.
- Mix well and allow to stand for 1o minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Form the macaroons, but make sure not to make them too large, as then the outside will be too brown, while the inside is still too moist.
- A size a bit larger than a walnut is what is recommended.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
http://library.thinkquest.org/C004833/recipes_en.shtml (not available any longer)