Pumpkin, Red Lentil and Date Soup
This is a lovely, sweet thick soup to enjoy on a chilly day. It’s not particularly spicy, that’s up to you how hot you’d like it. The dates give it a nice subtle sweetness.
Serving Size: 4
- 100 grams red lentils
- 500 grams pumpkin, de-seeded cut in pieces
- 250 grams (1 can) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 liter water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- pinch of cayenne
- 10 dates, de-seeded and chopped
- splash lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add the chopped onions and saute until glassy.
- Add the rosemary and thyme, the pumpkin pieces and the red lentils.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and cook the soup until the pumpkin is soft and the lentils are done.
- Check from time to time and stir, as the soup becomes quite thick.
- Add the tomatoes and the dates and puree the mixture until smooth.
- Add a splash of lemon juice and season to taste with a pinch of salt and cayenne.
- Garnish with coriander leaves or chili oil and serve hot.
We had so much fun, making these soupp bowls, enjoying the soup out of them and then eating them up as well. When we saw these at applepiepatispate we just had to try them. They were easy to make and the website gives good instructions on how to do the bowls. I did add a lot of herbs to the dough as well. We enjoyed this nice thick soup which tasted lovely.