Belgian Waffles with Cherry Sauce and Vegan Cream Cheese
These lovely waffles made a special treat a tea time last Sunday. As the cherry season has not quite begun, we used cherry pie cherries in syrup. But soon, we’re looking forward to enjoying these with fresh cherries.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 container of plain soy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of raw cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 & 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup polenta
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 & 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 egg replacements
- 1 & 1/2 cup soy milk
- 4 tablespoons soy margarine, melted
- 1 jar pitted cherries in syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- nonstick spray
To make the vegan cream cheese:
- Place a cheesecloth or other finely woven material in a sieve.
- Put the soy yogurt in the cheesecloth and allow to drain for 3-4 hours.
- When the soy yogurt has drained, spoon the condensed yogurt into a small bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar, cashew butter and vanilla.
- Mix well.
To make the cherry sauce:
- Pour a bit of the cherry syrup in a small bowl, to use dissolving the cornstarch.
- Place the rest of the cherries and syrup in a small sauce pan.
- Add the cinnamon.
- Dissolve the cornstarch and add to the cherries in the pan.
- Heat, stirring until the sauce thickens and becomes clear.
- Remove from the heat.
To make the waffles:
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix the egg replacements into a second medium-sized bowl and beat until frothy.
- Drizzle in the soy milk.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, along with the melted soy margarine.
- Mix with decisive strokes from the bottom of the bowl, until all the dry ingredients have been moistened.
- Lightly spray the hot waffle iron on both the top and bottom surfaces with nonstick spray.
- Add just enough batter to cover the cooking surface-approximately 1/2 cup for a standard waffle (1 cup for a Belgian waffle).
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on your waffle iron. Don’t over-bake- you want it crisp and brown but not too dark.
- It’s okay to peek.
- Place the cherry sauce on the waffles and the cream cheese on the side, enjoy.
You can also use Soyatoo or other vegan whipping cream instead of the vegan cream cheese.