Broccoli Cashew Soup
Thick and creamy with the light hint of nutmeg. This soup tasted delicious on a chilly rainy day like today.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 tablespoons light vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 broccoli, stem and florets, cut into pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- pinch nutmeg
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 cup raw cashews
- salt and pepper to taste
- dill (optional)
- red bell pepper as optional garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Saute the onions until glassy.
- Add the broccoli, cashews, garlic, vegetable bouillon and water and cook with the lid on until the broccoli is soft but not over cooked, as you want it to remain bright green in color.
- Puree with an immersion blender.
- Add the nutmeg and season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- If you like the flavor of dill, add 1-2 teaspoons of dill to the soup.
- The soup is likely to be very thick, if you would like it thinner, add more water.
If making the optional garnish:
- Saute 1-2 tablespoons of fresh red bell pepper, chopped into small pieces.
- Serve the soup warm garnished with the red bell peppers.
If you can not get the raw cashews, roasted ones will do in a pinch.
adapted from http://www.thedoctorcooks.com/2008/03/homo-obesus.html