Crispy Coconut Crusted Tofu Poppers with Chili Mango Cream
Yum, the crunchy coconut crust of the tofu poppers tasted delicious with the mango chili cream. This is a very tasty recipe, well worth the effort.
Serving Size: 4
for the tofu:
- 1 lb. tofu
for the marinade:
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water to thin the marinade
- 1 lime or lemon
- pinch salt
- pinch garlic powder
- pinch ginger powder
for the crispy batter:
- 1/2 cup flour, separated
- 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2-3/4 cup coconut flakes (your choice as to sweetened or plain)
- light vegetable oil for frying
- light pinch of salt after cooking the tofu
for the chili mango cream:
- 1 large sweet ripe mango
- 1 canned pineapple ring
- 1/2 cup plain soy yogurt or soy cream cheese as Tofutti
- 3-4 tablespoons Thai Chili Sauce
- 1/2 jalapeno (optional)
- small pinch salt
to prepare the tofu:
- Drain and lightly pat the tofu dry.
- Cut into large bite sized cubes.
- Make the marinade and place the tofu pieces in the marinade to soak for 1/2 – 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the mango chili cream.
to make the mango cream:
- Slice the mango and discard the seed.
- Peel the slices, and place in a blender or food processor.
- Add the pineapple ring, soy yogurt or Tofutti and the Thai chili sauce.
- If desired add 1/2 of a deseeded jalapeno.
- Whizz the mixture to a smooth consistency.
- Season to taste with salt.
when ready to make the meal:
- Spread 1/4 cup of dry flour on a large plate.
- Put 1/4 cup of flour in a shallow bowl and add enough water to form a thin paste.
- Mix the panko and coconut in a 3rd shallow bowl.
- Dredge each marinated tofu piece through the flour, evenly coating each piece.
- Then dredge each piece through the flour ”paste”.
- Finally dredge each piece though the panko/coconut mixture so that each side is covered with crumbs.
- Heat a large frying pan with vegetable oil and lightly brown each side of the tofu pieces.
- When golden, remove from the oil, drain on paper towels.
- Lightly sprinkle a pinch of salt over the cooked tofu pieces.
- The tofu pieces can be kept warm until ready to serve, in a moderate oven.
Serve the tofu poppers with a bowl of mango cream for dipping.