Plum Crisp with Almond Streusel
We made a lovely plum compote from plums received as a gift. It’s been a really good year for fruit, most of our friends have an abundance of every kind. These tasty crisps can be made with any fruit – peach, apricots, plums or whatever. It’s very easy to make and quite tasty.
Yield: 4 servings
for the plum crisp:
- 2 cups freshly made plum compote (see below)
- 1 & 1/2-2 cups granola
- 3/4 cup ground almonds or hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
for the optional cream sauce:
- 1/2 cup soy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring (or Amaretto or any preferred alcohol)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar or agave syrup
for the plum compote:
- 1 & 1/2 lb. fresh plums cleaned, halved and stones removed
- 1 & 1/2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons sugar (depending on the ripeness/sweetness of the plums you may need more or less)
- splash lemon juice
to make plum compote:
- In a medium saucepan, place the plums, sugar water and splash of lemon juice.
- Bring the mixture to a soft boil (5 minutes) and then reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Cook the plums about 5 minutes more. Stir very gently and not too often, as you want the plums to basically hold their shape, just become soft and release their juices.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to steep for 30 minutes.
to make the crisp:
- Preheat the oven to 425 F / 218 C.
- Make the streusel topping.
- Place the ground almonds, flour and sugar in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the melted vegan margarine and mix with a fork until it is the consistency of small lumps.
- Place 1/4 -1/3 cup of granola in the bottom of each individual casserole dish.
- Place a generous serving (about 1/2 cup) of plum compote with juice over the granola.
- Evenly distribute the streusel clumps over the top of the plum compote.
- Place in the preheated oven to bake until the streusel topping has lightly melted (about 15 minutes).
- Allow the crisps to cool slightly before serving.
- Optionally serve with soy cream or a whipped topping or soy ice cream.