Chestnut and Mandarin Orange Salad
This salad has a delicious mixture of flavors as well as colors and textures. It would make a lovely addition to any holiday menu.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 & 1/2 lb. prepared chestnuts, chopped
- 1 small can mandarin oranges
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- lettuce leaves
- pomegranate seeds as garish
- Cut the prepared chestnuts in chunky pieces
- Drain the liquid from the canned mandarin oranges.
- Reserve for use in another recipe, or possible a it to thin and sweeten the dressing as desired.
- Mix the soy sauce, lime juice and maple syrup for the dressing.
- Season to taste with additional maple syrup or some of the mandarin orange liquid.
- Serve the salad layered in parfait glasses, or arranged on a bed of lettuce greens and with a spoonful of dressing drizzled over the top. A small carafe of dressing can be served at the table as well.
- Garnish optionally with pomegranate seeds.
- If pomegranate seeds are not available, thin almond slices would also be pretty.
You can use canned or vacuum packed chestnuts, or fresh which would have to be baked first.