Vegan Carrot Cupcakes
We had fun today making cupcakes in cups, and, they tasted great too. These have a nice spicy flavor, almost like pumpkin pie or an applesauce cake. We enjoyed a simple vegan butter cream frosting, with sprinkles, although a lemon frosting would also be good.
Yield: 12 regular or 6 in teacups
for the cupcakes:
- 1 & 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 & 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional but nice)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 egg replacements (we used “No Egg” by Orgran)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed to a liquid form
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
for the vegan butter cream frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted if it is lumpy
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (coconut, soy, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- Prepare your cupcake forms by spraying with oil, spreading vegan margarine, or using cupcake papers.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 177 C.
- Create the egg replacements according to instructions.
- Peel the carrots and finely grate them.
- Place the carrots in a medium bowl.
- Chop the walnuts.
- In a larger bowl, place the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together to mix them well.
- To the carrots, add the sugar, applesauce, egg replacement, liquid coconut oil and mix well.
- Add the raisins and walnuts to the carrots and mix.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix just enough to moisten evenly.
- Fill each cupcake form 3/4 of the way with the batter and place the cupcake forms in the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tops are firm and a wooden skewer as tester comes out dry.
- When the cupcakes are done, remove from the oven and allow to completely cool before frosting.
for the frosting:
- Cream the room-temperature (softened) vegan margarine with the sifted powdered sugar.
- Add the non-dairy milk a little at a time as you are creaming the sugar and margarine.
- Add the vanilla flavoring.
- Frost the cupcakes once they have cooled.
- We used vegan sprinkles also to decorate the cupcakes and little carrot decorations.
If you want to make a lemon frosting, then substitute the lemon juice for the non-dairy milk and vanilla.