These tasty packages are a special treat at holidays, although they are delicious any time of the year, and not difficult to make.
Serving Size: 4
Yield: 8-10 packages
for the Wellingtons:
- 1 package frozen vegan puff pastry (8-10 squares)
- 1 large bag (16 ounces) mixed vegetables fresh or frozen
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1-2 tablespoons oil
- 3/4 cup vegan cheese, grated
for the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- 1.4 cup vegetable bouillon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start making the sauce and heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the minced shallots and cook until soft.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and turn the heat down to low.
- Mix the cornstarch with the white wine.
- Add to the sauce and stir until thick.
- Add the soy yogurt and lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the vegetables and cook al dente.
- Add the cooked rice to the vegetables and stir to mix well.
- Add 1/3 of the sauce to the cooked vegetables.
- Add the grated vegan cheese and stir to mix.
- Thaw the puff pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F or whatever heat is indicated on the puff pastry package.
- Prepare a rimmed cookie sheet with baking parchment.
- Place the squares of vegan puff pastry on the prepared cookie sheet.
- In the center of each square, place 2 tablespoons of the vegetable mixture.
- Fold the corners of the puff pastry over to meet each other in the center.
- Place in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the vegetable Wellingtons with sauce drizzled over the tops.