Vegan Walnut Cinnamon Shortcakes with Caramelized Plums
Plum has started and we have been gifted a a lot of fresh organic opal plums from our friend. Overjoyed with this gift, we have been making lots of yummy treats this week. This was one of our favorites.
Serving Size: 8
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar (divided)
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon (divided)
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- 4 tablespoons cold vegan margarine
- ¾ cup cold non-dairy milk
for the caramelized plums:
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy margarine
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- good pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 450°F / 232°C.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Put the four in a medium bowl.
- Add the baking powder, salt and 2 tablespoons of the sugar cinnamon mixture.
- Whisk to mix.
- Blend the margarine into the dry ingredients until the mixture breaks down like sand.
- Mix in the walnut pieces.
- Add the soy milk and stir until the mixture clings together.
- Turn out onto a floured bread board or countertop and fold over to form a soft dough. Be careful to not over-work the dough.
- Add more flour as needed if the dough is sticky.
- Roll the dough out to about a ½-inch thickness.
- The shortcakes do not rise much…so don’t roll the dough out to thinly.
- Using a juice glass, dipped in flour at the rim, cut the dough into rounds
- Brush the tops of the shortcakes with either water or a bit of non-dairy milk and sprinkle the rest of the sugar and cinnamon mixture on the tops of the shortcakes..
- Place on an un-greased cookie sheet, and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the caramelized plums. Clean and slice the plums.
- Melt the non-dairy margarine in a medium frying pan.
- Add the sugar and mix well.
- As the sugar begins to melt add 1-2 tablespoons of water to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the plums to the sauce and cook until just slightly soft and the plums have released some of their juices.
- We also served the biscuits with lightly sweetened almond yogurt 1 cup almond yogurt or other non-dairy yogurt. 1 tablespoon sugar and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix all together for a smooth sauce.
- Slice the shortcakes in half.
- Place some of the plum sauce on the bottom half and drizzle a bit of the yoguht sauce also.
- Place the top back on the shortcake.
- Serve with extra yogurt sauce.