Red Cabbage Waldorf Salad with Golden Raisins and Tofu Feta
Red cabbage, apples and walnuts, all come into season at the same time, making this a really great salad to serve as the weather begins to turn chilly.
Serving Size: 4
for the salad:
- 1 small head red cabbage, thinly shaved (about 4 cups)
- 3 spring onions thinly sliced
- 2-3 medium organic apples, cored and chopped in small pieces
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup tofu feta pieces (click here for instructions)
for the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fruit or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Remove the old, damaged outer leaves of the cabbage, slice in half and then using a vegetable peeler or mandolin, shave the red cabbage in think strands.
- Place the shredded red cabbage in a large bowl.
- Coarsely chop the walnut pieces.
- Place in a small dry frying pan and lightly toast, stirring so that they don’t burn. It will only take a minute or two.
- To make the dressing, place the dressing ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium low heat.
- Stir to mix well.
- Thinly slice the spring onions, green and white parts and mix with the salad. Save a few of the green parts as garnish.
- Add the raisins to the red cabbage.
- Add the toasted walnut pieces.
- Core the apples and cut in small pieces, add the apple pieces to the salad and mix well.
- Pour the warm dressing over the salad.
- Mix well so everything is evenly coated.
- Allow the red cabbage to wilt and the salad to season for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Shortly before serving, add the tofu feta pieces and mix the salad.
- Sprinkle a few of the green pieces on top of the salad as garnish.