Carrot Chickpea Tajine
We really enjoyed this meal. It could be prepared in a slow cooker during the day and be enjoyed the evening. This recipes serves four but could easily be doubled or tripled.
Serving Size: 4
for the sauce:
- olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- salt to taste
for the vegetables:
- 1 large jar chickpeas (about 16 ounces), drained
- 1 lb. baby carrots, peeled
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, or pine nuts, toasted
- handful fresh herbs, chopped (parsley, coriander etc.)
- Prepare the vegetables for the sauce. Chop the onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Peel the carrot and grate, using the smallest, fine grater.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion, garlic, and grated carrot.
- Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric and white pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice
- Also, peel the baby carrots.
- Place in a steamer and lightly steam the baby carrots al dente.
- Add the soy yogurt to the cooking sauce.
- Add the drained chickpeas and stir well.
- Toast the sunflower seeds or pine nuts in a dry frying pan. When done, set aside.
- Add the steamed carrots to the chickpeas.
- Chop the herbs.
- Save a few herbs as garnish and add the rest to the sauce.
- Season to taste with a splash of maple syrup, salt and any other spices you feel useful.
- We added a dash of Tabasco, but not too much.
- Serve the tajine over a bed of rice.
- Garnished with the toasted seeds and chopped herbs.