Lemony Barley Lentil Salad
This salad really tastes great. It’s hearty and filling. We enjoyed it at lunchtime with sandwiches.
Serving Size: 4
- ½ cup pearl barley (uncooked)
- 1½ cups cooked lentils
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
for the dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 generous teaspoon mild grainy mustard
- pinch cumin
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon maple or agave syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the pear barley until the water runs clear.
- Place in a sauce and and cover with water.
- Cook the barley until soft but still al dente and the water has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Rinse and drain the cooked lentils
- De-seed and chop the red bell pepper.
- Place the pepper pieces in a large salad bowl.
- Chop the onion and add to the red bell pepper pieces.
- Add the lentils to the pepper and onions.
- Check the barley. If it has clumped together, run cool water over it and stir gently with fork or spoon and then drain off the water.
- Add the rinsed barley to the lentils, onions and pepper pieces.
- Gently mix.
- Make the dressing by mixing the ingredients.
- Spoon 1/2 the dressing over the salad and mix.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes to 4 hours to season well before serving.
- Serve the salad with the rest of the dressing in a carafe.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.