Tomato, Pearl Couscous and Herb Salad
This is a lovely salad to enjoy any time of the year. We share it as a meal for lunch, but it would also make a nice salad at suppertime.
- 1 cup dry pearl couscous
- 3 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 spring onions, chopped
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- small handful cilantro or coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Place the dry couscous in a saucepan.
- Add 2 cups water and 1 vegetable bouillon cube.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then turn down the heat and allow to simmer until the couscous has swollen and is soft.
- You may need to add the 3rd cup of water or just part of it.
- When the couscous is soft remove from the heat and place a lid on it as it will continue swelling.
- Meanwhile wash and slice the tomatoes, spring onions and herbs.
- In a small bowl, mix the oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Take the pot of couscous, which has slightly congealed, and pour some water over it using a spoon, separate the couscous pearls and place in a sieve to drain. I rinse slightly with cool water.
- Place the drained couscous in a large salad bowl.
- Add the tomatoes and spring onions.
- Pour the dressing over and mix well.
- Add the chopped herbs and gently mix.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper as needed.