Orange Risotto with Tofu, Winter Squash and Apricot
This is one of our favorite meals and since our red kuri squash is ready early this year we can soon have it again.
Serving Size: 4
- 11 ounces tofu, cut in bite sizd pieces
- 8 ounces winter squash or pumpkin, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1½ cups vegetable bouillon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 ounces dried apricots, cut in pieces
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch turmeric
- pinch sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- chives as optional garnish
- Sauté the squash pieces in the oil until lightly golden brown and beginning to soften.
- Add the chopped onion.
- Add the risotto and stir well.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and mix.
- Add the turmeric, cinnamon and optional sugar.
- Add the tofu pieces.
- Cook on simmer until the rice is soft and creamy and the squash pieces are tender.
- Add the apricot pieces and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- We enjoy the meal served hot, with a mixed salad and whole grain bread.
This meal is also a handy meal to make while camping. It all goes in 1 large pan and actually does not take long to cook.