Squash pot-stickers with a spicy coriander sauce
This is amazingly delicious. We enjoyed it as a main meal, but they could also be used as party food or an appetizer for a fancy holiday meal.
for the spicy coriander (cilantro) sauce:
- 4-6 jalapeno, de-seeded and sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coriander or cilantro leaves and stems, packed
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
for the dough:
- 2 cups flour (I used 1 cup AP and 1 cup wholewheat)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup water
for the filling:
- 1 cup pumpkin of squash puree
- 2 teaspoons coriander or cilantro sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼-½ cups nut flour (almond, walnut or hazelnut)
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
To make the dough:
- Place the flour in a bowl.
- Add the salt, oil and water.
- Mix to a smooth consistency. You can mix it by hand, using a fork or spoon, or with a mixer.
- Allow the dough to rest for ½ an hour.
Make the coriander (cilantro ) sauce first:
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade, add the jalapeño, garlic and salt. Coarsely chop.
- Add cilantro or coriander, parsley and spices.
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Pulse to make thick sauce.
To make the filling:
- Place the squash or pumpkin puree in a bowl.
- Add the coriander sauce, vegetable bouillon powder, nutritional yeast, mustard powder, onion powder and cayenne. Mix well.
- Add the ¼ cup nut flour and mix.
- If the mixture is stiff, then it is ready, if it is still a bit too liquid add the other ¼ cup of nut flour. and allow to sit to swell.
To make the pot-stickers:
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut 5 inch circles from the dough.
- Fill each circle with 1 tablespoon of the filling.
- Close the circle in half and crimp the edges to make sure the seam is completely closed.
- Heat cooking oil in a large frying pan and fry the pot-stickers until lightly golden brown on both sides.
Serve the pot-stickers with some of the sauce and garnished with a couple of coriander or cilantro leaves.