Eggplant Towers with Beet Hummus
This is a lovely and delicious appetiser or part of a pretty brunch. It’s quick and easy to make as well as healthy.
Serving Size: 4
Yield: 6-8 small towers
- 1 medium eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil for cooking
- 1 medium zucchini
- a light vinaigrette at the side
- fresh mixed greens to top
for the beet hummus:
- 1 medium beet, juiced
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, drained
- 1 medium leek, the white parts only
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fruit or apple cider vinegar
- a splash lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch of paprika
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and juice the beet. If you don’t have a juicer, then peel, cut into cubes, place in a saucepan, cover with water and cook until soft.
- Cut the end off the leek and chop the white part onto small pieces. It should be about 1/2 cup.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and sauté the leek until glassy.
- Drain the chickpeas and place in a food processor or blender. Pulse to a fine chop.
- Add the beets and beet juice a bit at a time and pulse until you have the color you want.
- Add the sauteed leeks, garlic, mustard, tahini, vinegar and the splash of lemon juice.
- Pulse again to create a smooth mixture.
- Season with cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, optionally paprika and red pepper flakes as well.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and place in a bowl.
- Slice the eggplant in less than 1/4 inch thick rounds.
- You will need 2 matching sized eggplant slices and one zucchini slice for each tower.
- Slice the zucchini in thin slices.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- When hot, add the eggplant slices and cook until lightly brown. Turn the slices over and cook until the 2nd side is lightly browned.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the pan and set on kitchen paper to drain.
- Place the zucchini slices in the frying pan and lightly brown on both sides then remove from the heat.
- To make the towers: Lay one slice of eggplant on an individual salad plate.
- Spread about a tablespoon of the beet hummus evenly over the eggplant slice.
- Top the hummus with a slice of zucchini and then spread another layer of beet hummus.
- Top with a slice of eggplant.
- Continue until all the towers have been built.
- Wash and spin the mixed greens.
- Place a few greens on top of each tower.
- Serve the towers with a light vinaigrette at the side. For an easy vinaigrette, you can mix even amounts of your choice of oil, and vinegar, a pinch of salt and pepper and a small splash of maple syrup or agave. Optionally, you can add some Italian spices, red chilli flakes and possibly mustard if so desired.