Taco Salad in a Jar
We’ve been enjoying salads in jars lately. They are a good way to transport a meal, as well as storing for a short time. One can make them ahead of time, and then enjoy at ones convenience.
Serving Size: 2
for the creamy salad dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 tablespoon maple or agave syrup
- ¼-½ jalepeno, de-seeded and minced
- ¼ cup soy yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
for the salad:
- Mixed salad greens, washed and spin dried
- 12 Cherry tomatoes, cleaned and halved
- 1½ cups black beans, cooked and drained
- 1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein (also known as soy protein)
- 1 cup boiling water to reconstitute the TVP
- ½ cup non-dairy cheese, shredded
- handful black olives
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup tomato salsa
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- taco chips
- cilantro or coriander leaves as garnish
- to make the dressing:
- Mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, vegetable bouillon powder and maple or agave syrup.
- Whisk to blend.
- Remove the seeds from a jalapeño and mince 1/4 of it, or more if you wish.
- Add to the dressing.
- Add the soy yogurt and again, whisk to blend.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing in the bottom of your jars.
- to make the salad:
- Place the TVP in a small bowl.
- Add the boiling water and allow the TVP to reconstitute for 3-5 minutes.
- Layer the various ingredients into the jar.
- We placed a layer of clean greens on top of the salad dressing, as the bottom layer of the salad.
- Then we added about 4 or 5 of the cherry tomatoes, cut in half.
- Next we layered 2-3 tablespoons of the black beans and then the sliced green onions.
- Followed with 2-3 tablespoons of the TVP.
- On top of the TVP we placed the tomato salsa with a few black olives on top of the salsa.
- We next layered the non-dairy cheese.
- On top of the non-dairy cheese, we placed some coriander or cilantro leaves, and avocado slices.
- We garnished the salad with a few taco chips and had a bowl of taco chips on the side.