Spinach and Sun-dried Tomato Biscuits
With the holidays coming up, baking powder biscuits are so versatile and always tasty. We enjoyed this variation using spinach and sun-dried tomatoes.
Yield: 8-12 biscuits
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine
- handful of baby leaf spinach
- sun-dried tomatoes
- ¾ cup soy yogurt or non-dairy milk
- Preheat the oven to 450°F/232°C.
- Wash, spin dry and roughly chop the spinach.
- Cut the sun-dried tomatoes in small pieces.
- Place the flour in a large bowl.
- Add the baking powder and salt and stir a bit.
- Cut in the vegan margarine and mix until the mixture breaks down like sand particles. I do this by hand, it goes quickly and is not really that messy to do.
- Add the spinach and cut tomato pieces and gently mix.
- Add the soy milk and stir until the mixture clings together.
- Turn out onto a floured bread board or countertop and knead for 1 or until the dough is smooth.
- Add more flour as needed if the dough is sticky. Be careful to not over-work the dough.
- Roll the dough out to about a ½-inch thickness.
The biscuits do not rise much, so don’t roll the dough out to thinly.
- Using a juice glass, dipped in flour at the rim, cut the dough into rounds
- Place on an un-greased cookie sheet, and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.