Tofu Salad Wraps
Egg-less salad is a traditional favorite in many vegan households. Our recipe is a standard one that uses simple ingredients. You can always add more as desired. We enjoy this egg-less salad on English muffins for breakfast, on whole what toast as sandwiches or wrapped in flour tortillas for a great lunch.
Yield: 6 wraps or 4 sandwiches
- 16 ounces tofu
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 stalks celery
- ½ red bell pepper
- 2-3 teaspoon mustard, (more if you prefer)
- splash pickle juice, or vinegar
- ¾-1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½-¾ teaspoons black salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- flour tortillas
- Blot the tofu with pepper towels using gently but firm pressure to remove as much water as possible.
- Slice the the tofu into very small cubes.
- Place the cubed tofu in a bowl.
- Clean and cut the celery into small cubes and add to the tofu.
- Cut the red bell pepper, remove any seeds and cut into small pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix the vegan mayonnaise, mustard, turmeric, black pepper, pickle juice and black salt.
- Taste the mixture and adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Some people enjoy a bit of onion, and also relish, we tend to prefer just the simple salad.
- When the dressing is flavored as you wish, pour it over the tofu, clearly and red pepper pieces and gently mix to make the egg-less salad.
- To make the wraps:
- Place a flour tortilla on a cutting board.
- Lay 2 tablespoons of egg-less salad along one side of the flour tortilla.
- Roll the warp over the egg-less salad. You can do this in either of 2 ways. You can fold in the sides as you roll. That would make a closed “bottom” as you eat Or, you can roll the tortilla all the way, leaving the ends open and then usually eat the tortilla with a knife and fork.