Rhenish Fava Bean Stew
Fresh fava beans are just coming in now. We’ve been looking forward to making and veganizing this traditional German meal for a long time. This is a really tasty hearty meal that even an omni would enjoy.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. fava beans, out of the pods
- 1 lb. potatoes (ones that remain solid when cooked)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 package (3/4 pound) smoked tofu wieners
- 1 tablespoon soy margarine
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder
- dash nutmeg
- splash of Tabasco (optional)
- few chopped chives as garnish
- Clean the potatoes and cook in boiling, lightly salted water.
- When cooked, cut into bite sized pieces.
- Blanch the fava beans and pop them out of the skins. Set them in a bowl to await use.
- Slice the tofu wieners in small diagonal rounds.
- Warm a large frying pan, and melt the soy margarine.
- Saute the chopped onion, then add the sliced tofu wiener pieces.
- Add the fava beans and cut potatoes and continue to saute on a low heat.
- In a bowl, mix the soy yogurt, the vegetable bouillon powder, a dash of nutmeg and optionally some Tabasco as well. This will be a fairly thick mixture, if you wish it to be thinner add a bit of soy milk or water.
- Pour the yogurt mixture over the fava beans, potatoes and sliced tofu wieners.
- Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm garnished with a few chopped chives.