This makes a very nice pie, individual pies, or hand pies for Ventine’s Day. The sweet cherries with the sour rhubarb is a tasty combination.
Yield: 8 hand pies or 1 large pie
for the crust:
- 2 & 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup coconut fat other vegan fat
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt, cold
- 1 tablespoon soy milk or water to brush the crust
- 1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling
for the pie filling:
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1 large jar or can cherries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or ginger as optional flavoring
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca
to make the crust:
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl or food processor.
- Cut in the vegan margarine and coconut fat or other vegan fat.
- The mixture should resemble sand.
- Add the soy yogurt and mix to form a ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
to make the filling:
- Clean and chop the rhubarb.
- Combine the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Mix in the cornstarch while the liquid is cold.
- Heat the mixture until the sauce has thickened. Make sure to stir the mixture often so that it does not stick or scorch.
- When the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
to make the pie:
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 F / 190 C.
- Separate the dough into 2 sections, return 1 to the refrigerator while you work with the other.
- Roll the dough out to fit into the pie form or individual pie forms, or for the hand pies.
- It should be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the dough in the pie forms or if you are making hand pies, place the bottom shapes on a baking parchment lined cookie sheet.
- If making a pie, or individual pies, prick the bottom dough in various places with a fork.
- Fill the pie with the filling. If making hand pies, be careful to not overfill the shape.
- Take the second half of dough from the refrigerator and roll it out.
- Cut strips to form a lattice for individual forms, or roll out for a full top, or roll out and cut for hand pies, which ever you have decided to make.
- Carefully place the top dough forms on the pies.
- Crimp the edges of individual hand pies with a fork.
- Lightly brush the top with soy milk or water.
- Sprinkle the tops with sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before eating as the inside of the hand pies is very hot and can burn.
Of course if you do not have rhubarb, just a cherry filling or any berry filling is also fine.