Seitan Tikka Masala
Tikka Masala is a British/Indian meal that is quite popular and very tasty. It is usually made with chicken, but here we offer a delicious vegan version with seitan. It would also work well with tempeh or tofu.
Serving Size: 4
for the marinade:
- 6 tablespoons soy yogurt
- 2 generous teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- juice from 1 lemon
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- One 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 16 ounces seitan, cut in large bite-sized pieces
for the sauce:
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1-2 fresh red chilli peppers or chilli pepper flakes
- handful fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1-2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2-1 cup soy yogurt
garnished with soy yogurt and fresh coriander leaves
served on white rice
- It is important to marinate the seitan.
- to make the marinade: Mix the soy yogurt with the other marinade ingredients.
- Cut the seitan into large bite sized pieces and lay in the marinade to season for about an hour or longer.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce.
- Chop the onion.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Sauté the onion until glassy.
- Add the seasonings and the cans of crushed tomatoes.
- Mix well and heat on a low temperature.
- Prepare the rice.
- Add the seitan and most of the marinating mixture to the heating sauce.
- Mix well and heat.
- Chop the coriander and add most to the sauce.
- When the rice is ready, fluff with a fork.
- Serve the seitan tikka masala on top or next to the rice.
- Garnish with a dollop of soy yogurt and a few coriander leaves.
- We enjoyed the meal with Indian bread on the side.