Apricot Almond Pastries
These simple pastries taste lovely and are very easy to make. One can use any fresh fruit.
Yield: 4 pastries
- 4 squares frozen vegan puff pastry
- 4 fresh apricots
- 1 cup vegan almond flavored custard
- powdered sugar and almond flavor for the icing
- First make the custard. I used 2 cups almond milk and 3 tablespoons Orgran Custard Mix, with a small splash of almond extract.
- Mix the no-egg custard mix with the 2 cups of almond milk in a saucepan.
- Add the almond extract and bring the almond milk to a boil, stirring constantly.
- As the mixture becomes thing, continue stirring.
- When very thick, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Prepare the apricots by cleaning and cutting in half.
- Remove the seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 395°F (200°C)
- Place 4 squares of thawed vegan puff pastry on a baking parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of the almond custard on each square.
- Place 1 1/2 of an apricot in the middle of each square.
- Slice the remaining apricot halves into thin slices and arrange around the center apricot half.
- Fold over each corner of the pastry to form a an enclosed square.
- Place in the oven to bake for 18-120 minutes or until golden brown and flaky.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While the pastries are cooling, mix 4 tablespoons of powdered sugar with a drop of almond flavoring to make a thin paste.
- When the pastries have cooled, drizzle the almond icing over the top of the pastries.
- They taste great with a nice cup of coffee.