Chocolate Chestnut Blackbottom Pie
I think these are the richest, most decadent things I’ve ever made. Very chocolaty in flavor and lovely and smooth in texture.
Serving Size: 4
- 350 grams (12.3 oz) sweetened chestnut puree
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) pure chocolate (dark chocolate bar)
- 12 vegan chocolate waffer cookies or vegan Oreos
- 2 Tbs. vegan margarine
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil (optional)
- Vegetarian whipped cream (e.g. Soyatoo! Soy Whip) and chocolate leaves as garnish
- Using a food processor, turn the chocolate cookies into fine crumbs.
Melt the vegan margarine and mix into the chocolate cookie crumbs.
- Press the cookie crumb mixture into the bottom of a pie form or individual forms.
- If you have pre-made chestnut puree, open the jar or can and place in a large bowl. If you do not, see instructions below on making chestnut puree.
- Using a double boiler or bain marie, melt the chocolate and the optional coconut oil.
(I was afraid it would not solidify with just the chocolate, so I added the coconut oil but it was not necessary.)
- Mix the melted chocolate into the chestnut puree until well blended.
- Place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to become a bit more solid and easier to work with.
- Place a generous layer of the chocolate chestnut mixture on top of the black bottom crust.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.
- Garnish with chocolate curls, leaves Soyatoo or whatever you find attractive.
For chestnut puree:
- For each 250g peeled boiled chestnuts, add 3/4 cup soy milk and half cup water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes until soft.
- Cool and blend in food processor.
- Add about 2-3tablespoons of sugar, or sweeten to taste.
Since they are so rich, you can make smaller individual servings.