Vegan Chocolate Shortcakes with Pears and Caramel Sauce
This is a winter version of strawberry shortcake. It is delicious and makes a special Valentine’s Day treat. The chocolate shortcake is not “real” sweet, as the other toppings bring the sweetness. It is delicious.
Yield: 8 shortcakes
- 2½ cups AP flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup non-dairy natural yogurt
- 1 non-dairy egg replacement
- 7 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
for the caramel sauce:
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- ½-1 cup non-dairy natural yogurt
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed with a bit of water
- 4 pears, peeled,cored and sliced thinly
- splash lemon juice
- enough to cover the pear slices water
- whipped topping
- powdered sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 400℉/200℃. Prepare a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Place the flour, cocoa, baking powder baking soda and pinch of salt in bowl and mix.
- Cut the margarine into the mixture using pastry cutter, knives, a fork or your fingers. The mixture should be as coarse sand.
- In another bowl, prepare the egg replacement.
- Add the sugar to the egg replacement.
- Stir the mixture into the dry mixture.
- Add the yogurt or non-dairy milk oil using.
- Gently mix stir to mix, just until it comes together as a rough dough.
- Spoon 8 even lumps of the mixture onto the baking parchment, allowing 2 inches of space between each lump of dough.
- Place in the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven but allow to cool on the baking tray.
- Peel and core the pears. Slice them thinly and place in a small saucepan.
- Cover with water and a splash of lemon juice.
- Gently bring to a soft boil and cook until the pears are lightly softened.
- Remove from the heat and allow too cool.
- To make the caramel sauce:
- Place the margarine in a small saucepan and melt over a low heat.
- Add the brown sugar and pinch of salt.
- Stir to mix evenly.
- Add the non-dairy yogurt and mix well.
- Mix the cornstarch with a bit of water and add to the caramel sauce. Stir well as the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- To build the desserts:
- Slice the cooled shortcakes horizontally in half and place the bottom half on individual dessert plates.
- Add a generous layer of whipped topping on the bottom half of the shortcake.
- Add a few slices of the cooked pears on top of the whipped topping.
- Drizzle a generous amount of the caramel sauce over the pears.
- Add the top portion of the shortcake on top and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- We enjoyed the treat with a nice cup of coffee.
The recipe can be halved to make 4 nice shortcakes.
Alternately for the yogurt, you could use a non-dairy milk, perhaps try using just 3/4 of a cup and if that is not enough add more one tablespoon at a time.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.