Spicy Tofu Pieces and Shaved Asparagus on Polenta with a Vegan Cheese Sauce
This was a delicious main meal, you could also make smaller rounds and use them as an appetizer, party food or for a brunch.
Yield: 6 large rounds
- 6 large fat spears green asparagus
- 1 package prepared spicy tofu pieces
for the polenta:
- 1 cup coarse polenta
- 4 cups boiling water
- pinch salt
for the vegan cheese sauce
- 1½ cups soy yogurt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- pinch salt
- pinch dried mustard
- splash lemon juice
- pinch onion powder
- pinch garlic powder
- to make the polenta:
- Bring a large pot with lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the polenta and begin stirring.
- Stir constantly as the polenta thickens and cooks.
- You must be very careful as when it boils it splashes and can burn your hand.
- The polenta is done, when it comes away from the sides of the pot as you stir and is very thick.
- Prepare a lipped cooky sheet with baking parchment.
- Pour the polenta onto the parchment and sooth to make it even.
- Allow the polenta to cool.
- to prepare the vegan cheese sauce.
- Place the ingredients in a small bowl and blend.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- to prepare the asparagus:
- Clean the asparagus and cut of the hard woody end.
- Using a vegetable peeler, carefully peel or shave the asparagus in long thin strips. I hold the thick end as it seems easier to hold.
- Bring a frying pan with lightly salted water to boil.
- Lay the asparagus strips in the water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Plunge the cooked asparagus into icy cold water to stop the cooking process.
- to assemble and bake:
- Using a medium large round form, cut out the polenta pieces.
- Using a spatula, carefully place the polenta rounds onto a cookie sheet lined with baking parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 400℉/200℃.
- Using a tablespoon place some of the vegan cheese sauce on the polenta round.
- Dot some spicy tofu pieces on top of the sauce and arrange some of the asparagus spears on top of the tofu pieces.
- Place in the oven to warm and quickly bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve the polenta rounds garnished with a basil leaf or a dollop of the vegan cheese sauce.
- We enjoyed the meal with rustic cooked potatoes.