Green Tomato Spaghetti Sauce
Every year the tomato season is coming to an end in autumn with some green tomatoes still on the plants. This was the first time we have used the green tomatoes and were quite surprised how tasty they are. We really enjoyed the spaghetti sauce with walnut Parmesan.
- 3-4 pounds green tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 tablespoon grape seed oil or olive oil
- 1 jalapeño pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 3-4 springs Greek oregano, leaves only
- 5-6 basil, leaves only
- Finely chop the green tomatoes.
- Finely chop the onions.
- Mince the garlic
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onions and sauce until glassy.
- Add the chopped green tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Add the minced garlic, oregano, basil and jalapeño.
- When the tomatoes are soft puree 3/4 of them to a smooth sauce, leaving 1/4 as chunky pieces in the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with pasta of choice.