Thai Curried Winter Squash with Green Beans, Chickpeas and Pineapple
We really enjoy Thai curries. This was a delicious meal. Don’t be discouraged with the amount of ingredients – most of them are staples in a vegan kitchen. This makes a very nice curry sauce, you can up the heat as desired.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 medium winter squash (we used red kuri), de-seeded cut in bite sized pieces
- 4-6 ounces green beans, frozen, thawed
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup pineapple pieces, drained
- 1 can coconut milk
- splash lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegan red curry paste (ingredients see below)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- garnished with baby coriander leaves
- served with white rice
for the vegan Thai red curry paste:
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- ½-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 shallot , (or ½ small red onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb-size piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- First make the vegan Thai curry paste and set aside for later use. To make the curry paste:
- Place all the ingredients for the red curry powder in a small blender and pulse to mix well.
- Season to taste with additional cayenne, salt or pepper
- Prepare the squash.
- De-seed, peel the skin if not organic, and cut into bite sized pieces.
- We prefer to steam the squash pieces al dente, so they are evenly cooked. This takes 6-7 minutes in a steamer.
- Thaw the green beans.
- Drain the chickpeas
- De-seed and chop the red bell pepper.
- Slice the red onion
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok.
- Add the red bell pepper pieces and lightly sauté.
- Add the onion pieces and lightly sauté until glassy.
- Add the coconut milk and ½ the curry paste.
- Stir to make an even mixture.
- Add the thawed green beans and the the drained chickpeas.
- Stir to mix well and heat the ingredients.
- Add the steamed squash pieces and season with more of the curry paste as desired.
- At last add the pineapple pieces and mix to incorporate evenly.
- We served the meal with white rice and garnished with baby coriander leaves.
If you prefer to not steam the squash then add it at step 4 and sauté with the rest of the ingredients.