Mediterranean Winter Kale Salad
Kale is one of the best sources of fresh healthy greens over the winter up north. We enjoy many different kale salads throughout the cold months. In fact we grow quite a few different kinds of kale: the green curly kale, purple curly kale, red Russian kale, a local variety called Lippische Palme and of course the lacinato kale, also known as dinosaur kale. This recipe uses the curly variety and the olives, artichokes and tomatoes give it a Mediterranean touch.
Serving Size: 4
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 artichoke hearts, quartered
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas, canned or cooked and drained
- ½ cup black olives, sliced
- ¼ cup vegan feta, crumbled
for the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons vinegar of choice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the kale and remove the large center stem.
- Tear or cut the leaves into bite sized pieces.
- Place in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Massage the leaves to soften.
- Wash and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Slice 1/2 the red bell pepper and cut the slices into small pieces.
- Peel the red onion and slice in thin slices.
- Add the tomatoes, onions and bell peppers to the kale and mix well.
- Slice the black olives and add to the kale.
- Drain the chickpeas and add to the kale.
- Mix well.
- Slice the artichoke hearts in to quarters and add to the salad.
- Crumble the vegan feta over the top of the salad as garnish.
- To make the dressing: Mix the ingredients well and place in a carafe.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.