Vegan Winter Squash Filled Spinach Ravioli with Walnuts and Feta
This makes a very special meal. It does take some time and work to prepare but is really worth the effort.
Serving Size: 4
for the ravioli spinach dough:
- 1 cup AP or semolina flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4-1/3 cups spinach puree
- pinch salt
for the filling:
- 2 cups winter squash (pumpkin ) puree
- 2 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- pinch salt
- dash pepper
for the sauce:
- 2-3 tablespoons margarine or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- pinch salt
- fresh winter purslane leaves
- vegan feta
- Begin with the filling:
- If you have an organic winter squash (red kuri) you can leave the skin on.
- Remove the seeds and slice.
- Either roast in the oven or steam.
- Once it is soft, remove and puree. You will need 2 cups of puree.
- Add the nutmeg, nutritional yeast, slat, pepper and mustard.
- If the mixture is too soft or liquid add 1-2 tablespoons of dried bread crumbs.
- Blend well and season to taste.
- Next prepare the dough:
- Puree either fresh or frozen spinach. You will need a bit less than 1/2 a cup, depending on which type of flour you use.
- Place 1 cup of flour.
- Add the olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Mix well using the beaters that you use for making bread.
- Allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
- Lightly flour work work space as well as a plate on which to place the prepared ravioli.
- Section the dough into 4-5 balls.
- Thinly roll out one ball of dough to make the bottom of the ravioli.
- Roll out a 2nd strip of dough to make the top of the ravioli.
- Lightly indent your ravioli cutter onto the bottom dough and place a generous teaspoon of filling on the inner part of each of the indentation marks.
- Carefully lay the top portion of dough over the filling and push the dough around the small mounds of filling. Using your ravioli cutter, press/cut each ravioli and place them on the floured plate. Continue making the rest of the ravioli.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- While awaiting the water to boil, melt 2-3 tablespoons of margarine or olive oil in a small saucepan. Add the pinch of salt the 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder and the 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts.
- Wash and spin dry the winter purslane leaves or prepare fresh sprouts as an alternative topping.
- Cut the vegan feta into small chunks.
- When the pot of lightly salted water is boiling, place 3 or 4 ravioli to cook. The are done when they float to the top.
- Remove the cooked ravioli with a slotted spoon and place on individual plates. Continue to cook the rest of the ravioli.
- Pour a tablespoon of the garlic, walnut oil over the ravioli, top with a small handful of purslane leaves and a few pieces of vegan feta cheese.
- We enjoyed the meal with a mixed salad and a vegan organic red wine.