Vegan Sausage and Squash Risotto
This makes a delicious fall meal. It is light yet filling and is quick and easy to make.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 package 8 ounce vegan sausage wursts or hot dogs
- 1 medium small uchi kuri (red kuri) squash or butternut squash, de-seeded and cut in small cubes
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 2-3 cups water
- ½ cup white wine (optional but nice)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 splash liquid smoke
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- chives as garnish
- De-seed and cut the squash in bite-sized pieces.
- Place in a steamer and steam until soft.
- Cut the vegan sausage into bite sized slices.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic
- Strip the leaves from the thyme sprigs.
- While the squash is steaming, heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the sliced sausage pieces and lightly brown.
- Remove the sausages from the oil and hold aside in a bowl for later.
- Add the onion to the oil and sauté until glassy.
- Add the rice and stir to evenly coat the rice with oil.
- Add the white wine.
- When the wine has been absorbed add 1 cup of water and the vegetable bouillon powder.
- Add the turmeric and garlic pieces and cook the rice.
- As the liquid becomes absorbed, add another cup and continue cooking.
- Add the thyme and a splash of liquid smoke.
- Remove the cooked squash from the steamer.
- Take 1/3 of the amount and puree.
- When the rice has become soft, add the pureed squash and stir well to mix it into the rice.
- Shortly before serving add the sausage pieces and the squash pieces and mix into the risotto mixture.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper if needed.
- We garnished the meal with a few chives.