Vegan Beet and Walnut Spread
We used walnuts and fresh beets from our garden to make this delicious colorful spread. We use this spread on home made bread or on crackers but it is also good as a dip for vegetables.
Yield: 2-3 cups
- 3 medium beets, cooked
- cup 1 walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt, if needed
- splash maple syrup or agave
- First cook your beets – roasted, boiled or steamed, however you prefer.
- Toast the walnuts. In a dry pan, in the oven or in the air fryer – your choice.
- When the beets have cooled a bit, chop them and place in a bowl, or in your food processor.
- Puree the beets using an immersion blender, or your food processor.
- We ground the walnuts to a powder using our herb grinder, you can also just add them to the food processor and puree with the beets.
- Add the tahini and again, puree to blend.
- Add 2 cloves of garlic.
- Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Peel and grate a large apple.
- Add the grated apple to the beet mixture and puree to mix.
- Add the taco seasoning and mix.
- Add the splash of agave or maple syrup and mix.
- Season to taste with additional salt. Some taco seasonings have salt already included so taste first you may want more salt or maybe even more taco seasoning.